Dr. Patrick Marcus Resumé
To provide technical leadership and design expertise to growing organizations where my strong background in electrical / biomedical engineering, neuroscience and business can be blended with my strong leadership skills, and entrepreneurial drive.
- Doctorate in Biomedical Engineering, Minor in Neuroscience, University of Arizona, 2006
- Graduate of McGuire Entrepreneurship Program, Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, 2006
- B.S. Electrical Engineering with Honors, Cum Laude, University of Arizona, 1999
- Engineering: Digital Control Systems, Power Electronics, Fundamentals of Optics, Digital Signal Processing, Adv. Digital Signal Processing, Neural Networks
- Neuroscience: Cellular/Systems Neuroscience, Cell Biology, Physiology, Biomechanics, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neural Encoding, fMRI Imaging and Instrumentation
- Business: McGuire (Eller) Program coursework, Entrepreneurship for Scientists, Science and business Issues from a legal perspective,
- April 2011 – Current: Marcus Engineering, LLC, President; Electronics and Instrumentation design consultation, Project Management, Information Technology and Operations Infrastructure development.
- June 2008 – June 2011: MC Power Systems Inc., Co-Founder, VP Engineering; Built engineering and operational team. Laid foundation, managed organization, and created infrastructure required for small volume high complexity electronics manufacturing. Co-developed high efficiency mid frequency plasma power supplies for thin film coating processes primarily targeting solar manufacturing.
- October 2000 – June 2011: General Plasma Inc., Director of Electrical Engineering; Rich and diverse involvement in: venture solicitation, business plans, contracts and stock programs, and corporate outlook. Along with President and VP of Operations solicited $100m post money valuation from Summit Partners in 2006. Other responsibilities included department management, project management and electrical/controls design of $20m thin film vacuum coating systems. Detail controls system design including PLC software development, power distribution, panel layout, and controls. Developed multiple industrial optical sensing products. Electrical engineering design including DSP and microprocessor development, circuit board layout, custom industrial optical sensor design. Management and administration of IT and personnel. Management and administration of IT and personnel.
- January 2005 – December 2006: University of Arizona, Research Assistant; Sensorimotor Neurophysiology Laboratory; Neuroprosthetic sensory feedback system design.
- January 2004 – January 2005: University of Arizona, Research Engineer; for Neural Systems Memory and Aging Laboratory; Equipment support, engineering advisory, Linux/Windows support, embedded and simple circuit design
- October 2000 – Current: Consultant: Circuit design and PCB layout consultation.
- January 2000 – May 2000: University of Arizona, Teaching Assistant; for ECE 220 Basic Circuits Laboratory.
- May 1999 – January 2000:Raytheon Missile Systems; Electrical Engineer, Responsible Engineer; Telemetry for Advanced Cruise Missile.
- Nov 1997- Aug 1998: Engineering Intern, Allied Signal Reliability Analysis Engineering; FMECA (Failure Mode Effects And Criticality Analysis.)
- May 1995 – Present: Computer / IT consultation; Design and implement low cost IT infrastructure for small businesses and individuals.
- 1996,97 Summer: Engineering Intern, Photometrics, Ltd. component model entry, schematic capture, CCD image sensor characterization, PC board assembly.
- May 1995 – May 1996 (Summer: full time, School Year: part time): Electronic Technician, Santa Fe Laser Co. Trouble shooting, New product research and development, Assembly, Technical drawing, Quality assurance, Machining, Product assembly manual generation, Project management, Purchasing, Assembly procedure development
- Business / Management: Leadership, Team planning, Business plans and venture capital solicitation. Vision of “big picture” within a company. Project management. Supply chain and small volume manufacturing. Growth of multiple engineering teams from 0 to ~10 people. Strong ability to bridge the gap between investors, business leaders, engineering, and production teams due perspective and experience in all aforementioned areas.
- Engineering: Digital, software, GUI, CE, and, board layout design for 15KW Mid Frequency RF Power Supply. Multiple $100K plus industrial automation projects. Multichannel Electrotactile Force Feedback System. Advanced 5KW phase angle power supply system with MODBUS comm and embedded temperature controller Arc/Short and Error detection. Solar powered switching LED lighting systems for public sculptures. CCD/Laser/MCU based glass thickness sensor / coating sensor using z180 clone(rabbit core) and PIC MCU. Embedded rotary encoder interface device. Switching power supplies for notebook computers. Diode Detection array and 12 channel calibration/interface with LABVIEW. Class D amplifier design. MP3 player prototype, 4th Order Crossover network/preamp,
- Technician: soldering; thru hole and surface mount, assembly, wiring layout, troubleshooting; analog + digital, schematic capture, spice simulation, PCB layout and manufacturing.
- Programming: C, , Assembly, Siemens and Allen Bradley Ladder Logic, Labview, Matlab
- IT: Small business IT startup, rollout, and management including: web server management and design, non-Microsoft email servers, domain and network infrastructure rollout and management, backup system solutions and implementation. Cost conscious methods of implementing latest IT related technologies.
Strong familiarity with: Labview, Altium Designer, Matlab, 3DSMAX, RSLogix, Wonderware
Familiarity with: Mathcad, Adobe Photoshop, Various 3D rendering tools, AutoCAD, Networking, UNIX, etc.
Linux: System administration, file, web server. Maintain mail, file, web server. Familiar with: Debian, Redhat / Fedora, Horde IMP, Apache2, kernel building, basic PHP5 and MYSQL4 setup and administration.
Publications / Patents
- Electrotactile Feedback System Using Psychophysical Mapping Functions, Dissertation, University of Arizona, 2006
- Perceptual Responses to Electrical and Mechanical Stimulation of the Skin: Implications for Development of Electrotactile Feedback Systems, Journal of Neural Engineering, November 2009. PL Marcus, AJ Fuglevand
- Open Loop Characterization of an Electrotactile Feedback System, Manuscript, 2006
- Electrotactile Feedback System in Anesthetized Digits of the Human Hand, Manuscript, 2006
- Silicon Dioxide Coatings on Plastic Substrates by a Large Area Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition Process, Society for Vacuum Coaters, Technical Conference, 2006, J. Madocks, P. Marcus, P. Morse, General Plasma Inc.
- Production of Atomic Oxygen for Reactive Deposition or Plasma Treatment Processes, Association of Industrial Metalizers, Coaters and Laminators AIMCAL, Fall Technical Conference, 2003, J. Madocks, P. Marcus
- Bipolar Rectifier Power Supply Patent Application, WIPO WO/2010/063027
Accomplishments and Awards
- Control Engineering Leaders Under 40: http://bit.ly/sb6cCF
- One of 25 professionals state wide selected by Southern Arizona Leadership Council and awarded a fellowship for the Flinn / Brown Arizona Civic Leadership Academy, 2010/2011 http://www.eller.arizona.edu/buzz/2011/mar/academy.asp
- Variety of public art sculptures: www.solarsculptures.com
- Inside Tucson Business Article
- CB Richard Ellis Business Plan Competition, University of Arizona, Grand Prize, Graduate Division, 2006
- Stuart Clarke Venture Challenge, Ennis Challenge Round, University of Manitoba, Winner, 2006
- IGERT(Flinn Foundation) fellowship (2000-2003)
- Microchip Authorized Design Partner
Volunteer Work/Honor Societies/Organizations
- Small Business Mentoring 2009 – Current;
◦ MVP Air Conditioning (IT)
◦ Lifeflow Technologies (Technology review, Patent review)
◦ NascentMD (as an associate partner: Technology evaluation, Business development)
◦ RadCath (Business development, Prototype development)
◦ Intellivation Design (Startup consultation, IT infrastructure consultation)
- BioSA (Southern Arizona Bio-Industry Association), AzBio (Arizona Bio-Industry Association) (2009-Current)
- University of Arizona Young Alumni College of Engineering Advisory Board (2010 – Current)
- Theta Tau Professional Engineering Fraternity Alumni Association (1999 – Current)
- Eta Kappa Nu(Electrical Engineering Honor Society for Outstanding Scholastic Performance) (1996-1999)
- Tucson Pima Arts Council – Public art sculpture designer, Engineering resource for public arts (2005-2006)
- Fairfield Enterprises LLC – Public Sculptures (2004-Current)
- Assistant Teaching – Salsa and Meringue dancing. (2003-2007)